Monday, March 25, 2013

The Grind, or, Getting Down to Business

I do not necessarily endorse any of the authors, writers or literary professionals who produce the sites I link to in my list of writing resources. I add links for you to those sites because I believe that the sites will be very helpful to you if you write. I am adding a new link, a blog by a Dean Wesley Smith, because I find it extremely enlightening in regards to the production process.

Some of the steps he covers are, to have a place where you can write productively, chart and analyze how you use your time, find out how many words you write per hour and keep a record, a word count sheet rather than a time sheet. All necessary to set your production goals.

DSCN3842

This is where I write most of my blogs. It works well for concepts I mull around for a while and plan to put into words over the course of a few hours or less. It does not work for my fiction writing. It is our window to the Internet and the Internet is something one should stay far away from if you value your time. I plan to keep a word count on my blogs and professional work as well as for my fiction. But I also need to seriously set post count goals and stick to them in order to keep my blogs relevant to hold readers. I have seven blogs on various issues, two of which, my first two, I should post to once a week if not more. All my blogs are linked to in the sidebar and yes, that is a rocking chair.

DSCN3799

I bought this calendar to track my word count (as recommended by fore mentioned professional). It will be a log of all my work, including time editing. The primary purpose is however to set, track and reach word number goals for new writing. The notebooks I plan to use for my short stories, rather than a laptop.

DSCN3838

Here is my true work space; my home office. I threw out all the shoes my wife had filled it with as part of my New Year determination. I am not sure what it says when an Asian woman turns her husbands professional space into her shoe closet. I don’t think I should spend much time thinking about it. The space is well lit by two drafting lamps, a ceiling light and a large north facing window.

This is the place where I write, draw and design. In other words it is where I scribble. My scribble space; a sanctuary of scribbles for scribbles.

Production is something I have been lacking. I have many distractions in my life. I could spend twenty-four seven just rehabbing my house if I had the money. I am very grateful I found this new resource site. I found this through a Create Space Facebook post.

No comments:

Post a Comment