Thursday, December 31, 2015

The Short Story

Christmas. It dominates everything from Thanksgiving to the New Year. One of the self-publishing facilitators made a Facebook post of an article explaining that it is okay to stop writing sometimes. In other words, telling people what they want to hear because most every writer or writer want-a be has slacker off in December.

The end of the month fast approaching, ‘Could I possibly make my goal?’ I despaired. I never imagined falling this far behind. My mind has been off my stories. Another story was growing however and it took me a while to realize that it was the answer. A short story near complete in my mind sat before me, ready for the taking. ‘There is hope.’ I rejoiced.

The story? If I said it was a tale of a dog and his master would you be surprised? “A Hunting We Will Go” is the title; a story of nearly five-thousand words written over the last three days. Still the short story complete, I hope its completion will not have to substitute for my word count goal. After some snotty sleeves and a few kleenex, I am still far from my goal at this point.

Tonight will be spent with Chuck Hammer and putting his experiences down on paper. If I don’t make it, I need to double the goal for January and repent before God and all that is good.

Renewing the experience of writing a short story has brought a determination for the new year; a resolution as they say. That is to write more short stories. Ten would publish together nicely.

Yes, more completed works await editing. Then what do I do about my word count goal when my days are filled with editing an assortment of stories? Clearly I have a lot to work out in this coming new year in regards to my writing ambitions.

Book sales have increased but the scale is of no real consequence. My wife informed me that I have a stalker; a true sign of success. A woman she works with enjoys reading my blogs and has asked for my books. She even offered to pay. My wife must be holding the money for me.

My mind has been drifting to Haiku from time to time. I have too many demands, just to get by in our daily life, to put forth the effort to do it all in regards to my writing ambitions. Personal, financial and concerns over our living condition all draw from my limited energy. The harsh reality is, money will solve a large portion of our problems. It will also allow me to collaborate with some professional editors and the like. Which in turn should lead to even more money.

But money is not the answer. I need to dig deeper. Where does a prosperous life begin? From where does poverty arise? From the spirit alone. If you are prosperous in the ways of the spirit your needs shall all be filled.

Availability is never the problem. The problem is always access. Right now my need must be to write and to live life. I must not need access because I got none.

The bottom line is I need to make money anyway I can.

And I need  Windows Live Writer to work with Blogger again.

Happy New Year

No comments:

Post a Comment