Monday, July 24, 2017

Big Foot

It has become a busy Summer. I have missed my mid-month blog post deadline but hope to make up for that here.

Big Foot. Real or not the subject provides an unending investigation into the reactions of people when they encounter the fringes of existence.

How do people react to such experiences such as seeing Big Foot, the Yeti or some form of animated snow creature? Many believe such topics such as Big Foot taboo. They are afraid of being considered crazy if they tell anyone that they had seen any unknown creature. Big Foot believers claim there are countless experiences among the general public that people are too afraid to speak out about.

Then there are those people who claim long standing experiences with Big Foot that they would not tell people about at the time, for more altruistic reason.

Here again YouTube is an excellent source for the Big Foot experience. Several movies, documentaries, have been made centering around communities that claimed long standing encounters with the beast.

There is a YouTuber from up Ladysmith way, an area I am familiar with, that documents many testimonies and photographs.

I told my dad about this particular YouTuber from the north woods. It is not too far from the area where my dad grew up. I gave him a general description of the target beast. He simply said, mockingly, “We used to call those Swedes.”

While clearing a piece of hunting land I own up there, in the woods there, I have heard the typical wood knocks associated with Big Foot. I was there with my wife when she was hit with a powerful and repulsive smell, another experience associated with Big Foot. When I walked over the smell was gone. Our dog began acting very strangely, staying close at hand.

There is a small hunting shack across the rutted road (pictured on the cover of my first book) from my land. I was speaking with one of the owners when he suddenly changed the topic to ‘break ins’ of their cabin.

“Really?” I questioned, “Did they take anything?”

“No.” he answered, “Things were just messed up a bit.” Then he stood there looking at me as if he wanted to say more. Neither of us spoke for some time.

Then there are the unbelievers. They make many claims such as, “Why’ isn’t there trail cam footage?” There is. “Why don’t people find Big Foot turds?” They have.

You will find answers to all the doubters questions on YouTube if you search long enough.

Yet the majority of the population refuses to even consider the possibility that Big Foot exists. An interesting phenomena to understand.

“There are not enough deer to feed a viable population.” one millennial tried to convince her YouTube audience. Well… deer hunting has been bad in the North woods for some time now. And we have had typically cooler Summers and warmer Winters in the last decades. (large animals find it more difficult to keep cool than warm) I mean, I haven’t seen twenty below, nor common 100 degree Summer days, in like forever, unlike when I was young and such severe temperatures were more common.

Depending on your genre, taking in these types of observations of people and the public (and how the weather may relate), can only improve your writing. This is particularly true in science fiction where a world, a public is being created, or a people’s view of the universe is being challenged. (implications on religious beliefs requires a great deal of research also)

How real can you make your story?

And yes, there are aliens under the South Pole don’t you know. YouTube tells me so, and didn’t you see that TV show “Star Gate.”

Thanks for reading. The stories are progressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment