The word I was looking for is seracs. I will not go back and edit my second
book simply to be more accurate. I have to keep on with my current writing. I
have been able to write more, but more on my blogs than my upcoming works.
I heard a report on BBC Radio about a dictionary of land features. I forget
the exact title, but I searched for it on the Internet at the time but found no
trace. So many interesting words, precise in distinguishing features no matter
how indistinct from each other they may be. When is the last time you used the
word defile, to describe that space between two mountains?
Words such as knoll, hillock, hummock, rise, hill or in the contrary a
hollow, valley or depression represent a slice of the scope of words available.
The small distinctions in a local landscape described in words most of us have
long forgotten or have never heard can create an element of fantasy as the
reader is educated. Types of rock and strata are other foundational words can
add depth, or play as a representation of settlement or the passage of time.
Describing a Lunar landscape requires a very distinct vocabulary, otherwise
you sound completely uninformed and your science fiction visions will not
play.
My father has wit and is sharp as a tack as far as knowing who is with him
and following conversations. He doesn’t know where he is half the time however.
He is passing away and the family is praying for him.
The last six months or so have been dominated, more than I likely realize, by
the passing of my parents. Still I should be much further along in my writing
goals.
I truly did start this post mid-month, I just failed to finish it until
now.
Thank you for reading.
Terms for
desert features.
Space terms.
No comments:
Post a Comment