Sunday, October 31, 2021

No Man is an Island

Perhaps you have guessed that today’s topic is EDC, or to spell it out EveryDay Carry.

You can find many a YouTube’r that has a video on everyday carry. Many are of the Prepper type, just some old school manhood idealists, or simply practical minded pragmatists.

A woman’s purse will not be categorized under the topic of everyday carry. What man could ever comprehend the depths or content?

One item that was common in days gone by was the handkerchief. This YouTube video expresses the reality of handkerchiefs, hard to find a quality American made product.

I remember ironing and folding handkerchiefs when I was young; grade school age. They were never perfectly square, though nowhere near as bad as those in the video.

I never used a handkerchief much. Do not generally carry one today. But my grandfather, my mother’s father, always had a handkerchief. I may have even bought a couple myself as a child though I would say most came from my mother.

So… no man is an island. We are all influenced and shaped by those whom have come before, especially those near and dear.

Everyday carry can tell much about a character in a story. When you see a character described, an author may call out one specific item which that character always carries; often for sentimental reasons.

Environment may dictate what a character carries or not. How one prescribes to those dictates may describe someone as wise, skilled or simply foolish.

The same can be said about background and tradition. Whether someone is reverent or… a fool or outright evil, can be expressed in what is or isn’t carried, or even how something is carried.

Happy Halloween.

I believe I mentioned here, or was it another blog, that after a long hiatus  from the north woods I found myself there once more, realizing I had not brought a knife, canteen, firearm or any type of fire starter as part of my every day carry. Hence I did not venture far from my vehicle.

And always carry a compass.

Then again, if I lived in Singapore, or by a miracle Hong Kong, would any of those items be relevant? A knife? Perhaps yes. A multi tool? Sounds plausible to me. An umbrella? They seem popular in some places.

A good belt? This is an every day essential that can be extremely useful in ways that may not be apparent until you need it.

And don’t you city slickers forget your handkerchiefs.

Yellow vest? You have seen the protests. Everyone has one because they are required in France, if not all of Europe, in one’s vehicles, in case of roadside emergencies as I understand.

So every day carry may reflect the dominance of higher authorities in one’s life or society.

One’s “kit” is often more than one’s every day carry as I understand from the context I have heard it used. It is not simply every day carry, but uniforms; usually referring to a soldier or some professional organizations that form teams or groups that require a uniform.

What we carry can influence the actions we take or do not take. A dynamic or lack thereof that can be used to hilight a character’s profession, judgments, knowledge and capabilities.

I could go on, but time is short. If you are an inspiring author or simply a student of the human condition I hope you found some value here.

I cannot end however without commenting on how modern society and technology have destroyed that symbol of independence and resilience embodied in a man’s every day carry.

You don’t believe that? Yes, Captain James T. Kirk’s EDC, or lack there of ,did not strip him of his independence or resilience. But that was fantasy.

…Have I gone to far? Crossed a line?

Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment